Monday, April 11, 2011

Saying Goodbye

My close friends and family know that this week is going to be a hard one for me.  
I received a phone call at 3am Saturday morning from my dad.  Of course 3am phone calls are never good.  
My grandma had just passed away.  I'm heartbroken.  I know that I'm very lucky to have had so much time with her, and I'm thankful for that.  But it will never be enough time.

Reading her obituary, I think people can just get a glimpse into the kind of woman she was.

Born May 19, 1929 in Canton, OH.  Loving wife, mother, and grandmother who loved her dogs and was an avid nature lover, spending much time planning and growing beautiful flower gardens.  All who knew her will affectionately and lovingly remember her.  Married for 49 years.  Mother to three daughters and four sons, 18 grandchildren and 27 great-grandchildren.


What you can't see is how kind and loving she was.  That she could always make me feel better with just a positive word or a hug.  When I'd come to visit, she made sure that we were more than comfortable - that we felt special!  Those 7 children she raised are all kind, good people with big hearts.  I've honestly never seen such a close-knit family.  


I strive every day to be the kind of mother she was - to raise my kids with the kind of love she must have.  I would love nothing more than for people to someday say that I remind them of my grandma. 


Goodbye, Grandma.  I'll see you soon.

3 comments:

  1. Your grandma was probably the closest thing I ever had to a grandma! You are all so blessed to have had the time you had with her! Scott and I used to visit her and grandpa on Sunday afternoon when we were first married. He and grandpa would go fish at the pond and I would visit with grandma. She was a very charming, sweet lady! Paula Frank :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww...so sorry. We lost my mother-in-law yesterday morning and my grandma 2 weeks ago (march 30--my birthday). Your gram sounds a lot like my mom in law...8 kids, 18 grandkids and 24 greats....my grandma only had 2 daughters, but she was married for 75 years, lived in the same home for 73 years and was...nothing short of wonderful. We are truly blessed to have the gift of dear grandparents!
    Grieving with you,
    kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's always hard to lose someone, especially grandparents. My Papa died a few months ago and it still hurts sometimes, but when I get sad, I think of how huge his smile is now that he is with the Lord :) I will be praying for you.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments! Please leave an email address if you would like a response.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails